Tuesday 3 January 2017

Drafting and Planning: Contents Page Draft v1

The following is the first version of the contents page for my music magazine. Currently I have not taken any original photography for my magazine and so I have used a place holder where imagery will be. This draft is representative of my final product. 


As you can see, at the top of the page I have created a title for the contents page. I have decided to use “Inside Outre” as a pun, I feel as though this will create a light-hearted feeling to the magazine as I do not want the magazine to feel too “formal” as it was indicated in my survey that most my target audience prefer informal language within this genre of magazine.

Below the title, I have used a placeholder to signify where an image will be placed once I have completed my original photography. Within the frame of the image, I am including the page number in big, bold text. To ensure clarity, I have made this page number red to match the rest of the page numbers on the page.

Below the secondary image, I have included “On the Cover:” to link to the cover page. Below “On the Cover” I have included a brief intro to the double page spread. I have used rhetorical questions that will be answered within the article to get the reader asking questions and therefore causing them to be intrigued.

Down the side of the contents page I have split the contents into 4 sections, “News”, “Featured”, “Regular” and “Album Reviews”. I have done this to mimic what Rock Sound do on their contents pages. However, I have differentiated my contents page by incorporating Rock Sound’s “Exposure” into my “Regulars” section. I have used a black banner and Times New Roman font to ensure that the sections are clearly different and that they stand out above the rest of the content on the page. Furthermore, for the page numbers I have used a red box with white font to create a consistent house style.

Above the table of contents, I have included a small image of the front cover, I saw this on the contents page of Kerrang and liked it. By doing this the reader will have an immediate reference to the cover without having to close the magazine, I feel this will be useful combined with “On the Cover”.

Finally, at the bottom left of the page I have a space for more secondary images/advertisements. I haven’t completely decided what I will be using this space for, but I am thinking about including an image of my double page spread. I could also use this space to advertise albums, e.g. using images of album covers. Furthermore, I could create some posters that will be sold inside my magazine, to act as a pug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment